Sometimes you can’t beat a creamy delicious soup. It can feel like a hug in a bowl, especially on a cold winter day. This Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Creamy Soup is so easy to make, the chicken is already prepared for you, and the flavors along with the vegetables make this a delicious and nutritious meal to enjoy that the whole family will love. The ultimate comfort food.
A slow cooker can be a great tool to have and it can help you make not one but two meals out of one pot. Using a main ingredient and cooking it at once, you can get two meals.
This creamy soup is using half of the chicken made from this Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken recipe. We can all feel the pressure of cooking a full meal at night, but using the slow cooker means that most of that effort is done ahead of time. A little prep in the morning and the addition of extra ingredients with leftovers can transform one thing into two very different but tasty dishes.
Don’t forget the sides! Head here for a complete list of the best side dishes for Lemon Chicken meals.
Creamy Lemon Chicken Soup
This creamy soup has been made using the other half of chicken prepared from this slow cooker lemon chicken recipe. The joy of batch cooking means that it is possible to enjoy healthy nutritious meals on a budget and this slow cooker lemon chicken creamy rice soup is a great way to use leftovers from a previous meal.
- Each meal = 4 hearty servings
- Total cost of both meals = $8.00
- Total per serving = $1.00
We are all watching our spending right now and food is one of the biggest ways we have control over our disposable income. Making more out of batch cooking or using one pot and one main ingredient to create two meals is a great way to stretch that budget further.
Ingredients needed to make the Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Creamy Soup
A great tip is to gather all of the ingredients you need before you start cooking and preparing your dish. It makes things so much easier as you follow the recipe. Here is everything you need for this slow cooker wonder:
- The leftovers from the slow cooker lemon chicken
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables $1.00
- ¼ cup instant rice $.25
- 3 cups of chicken broth, cost below.
- Parsley for garnish, optional
If you don’t have the leftovers from this recipe, you can make the slow cooker lemon chicken using the following ingredients.
- 2 large chicken breasts, sliced into 6-8 pieces each $2.50
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup $1.00
- 4 cups chicken broth $1.25
- 2 tablespoons dry minced onion $.25
- Salt & pepper to taste $.25
- 2 lemons, zested & juiced $.50
How to make the Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Soup
Now that you have all your ingredients on hand it is time to make the creamy lemon chicken soup.
First prepare your lemon chicken in the slow cooker as follows (or use leftovers from the this lemon chicken recipe).
- Take your two chicken breasts and slice each one into 6-8 slices, depending on how big the chicken breasts are.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cream of chicken soup, 1 cup of chicken broth, minced onion, salt and pepper, lemon zest, and juice until everything is well combined
- Now get your chicken slices and stir them into the chicken soup mix, making sure everything is coated.
- Pour the whole contents into the bottom of the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Once the slow cooker has finished, using a fork, you can shred the chicken breasts.
Once your slow cooker chicken has been prepared and you have removed half of the chicken to be used in a different meal then you want to continue cooking in the same pot.
To the second half of the cooked shredded chicken, stir in the remaining 3 cups of chicken broth, frozen mixed vegetables, and ¼ cup of instant rice.
Keep the slow cooker setting on low and cook for an additional hour.
You can then ladle four equal portions of soup into bowls, serve, and enjoy!
Recipe notes and tips
When it comes to any recipe, it is always a good idea to understand what notes and tips you can use to help you fully utilize the recipe and have success each and every time. If you want to make the most out of this delicious lemon chicken soup, here are some recipe notes and tips to help.
- This is a recipe that you can use the same slow cooker pot to continue the cooking process and make the creamy soup. However, if you want to prepare this the following day, store the shredded chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator and then cook as per the process above on the stovetop instead. You will want a low heat and to let it simmer for an hour, however, the cook time may vary a little.
- If you can’t get hold of chicken broth then you can use chicken stock instead.
- We have used skinless chicken breasts in the initial slow cooker lemon chicken recipe but there are some added suggestions on alternatives shared.
Variations to try
Like with a lot of recipes, once you have tried them out a few times you can look to make some changes and vary the recipe to suit your tastes and preferences. So I wanted to share with you some of them that you might want to try.
- You can use any vegetables you like. We have suggested a mixed vegetable medley but you can use specific frozen vegetables like cauliflower, green beans, broccoli, or carrots. This is down to personal preference.
- Add some cooked smoked bacon for an additional smokey and salty flavor to the soup.
- Add a sprinkle of lemon zest and extra fresh lemon juice to enhance that lemon flavor if you wish.
- A sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top of the soup before serving will give an extra depth in rich flavor to this creamy soup.
- Instead of rice you can add orzo pasta instead. Cauliflower rice will also be a great substitute and will make this a healthy and nutritious meal.
- Stir in some cream cheese or even some heavy cream to add to the creaminess of this soup and to give a rich flavor to the soup. Do this towards the end of cooking.
Like with any recipe, there are often questions that need answering. I thought I would share some of the common questions here, but if you have any comments or questions please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.
How should I serve the Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Creamy Soup?
We think this comforting soup would work really well with some buttered crusty bread on the side. You could also make a sandwich if you wanted to make more of this. A great meal to have in the evening but also a lovely lunch idea if you are at home.
How do I store the Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Creamy Soup?
This creamy chicken soup will need to be stored in the refrigerator and used within 2 days of making it if you don’t enjoy it in one serving.
What can I do with leftovers?
The creamy soup is also the perfect consistency to be served over some cooked pasta or rice. If you don’t use the full four servings as a family meal, this could make a great lunch with the additional soup being used in a different way.
I hope you enjoy making and eating your Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Soup.
More easy chicken recipes:
Leave a Reply