This three ingredient Apple Dump Cake recipe is so easy, but turns out as one of the best desserts you’ll ever have! It’s rich and buttery, and takes about seven minutes to be ready for the oven!
How to make Apple Dump Cake
Fall is the best time, in my humble opinion, to bake! It’s chilly outside, the craziness of the holidays haven’t hit yet, and that warmth from the oven is appreciated most nights.
I love to bake, but realistically between kids and life I just don’t have the time or energy most nights. I love easy dessert recipes that turn out awesome without a ton of ingredients or effort.
This apple dump cake recipe is genuinely perfect. It’s so easy to put together, it’s cheap (yay for frugal meals!), the whole family loves it, and it will MELT IN YOUR MOUTH.
This apple dessert recipe is one you will make again and again! Pair it with one of these apple dinner recipes for the perfect fall meal idea!
Supplies needed for this Apple Dump Cake
- 9×13 Baking Pan
- Yellow Cake Mix
- Apple Pie Filling (20 oz can)
- 1 Cup Margarine/ 2 Sticks Butter
Step 1: In a 9×13 , use a large spoon or spatula to spread the can of apple pie filling evenly over the bottom of the pan.
No need to spray the pan, unless it isn’t a non-stick pan.
Step 2: Sprinkle the whole box of cake mix over the top of the apple pie filling. Use a fork to make sure the powder is even. DO NOT MIX.
Step 3: Add the butter to the top of the cake mix.
If you’re using margarine: Use a spoon and dollop bits of the margarine all over the top. The picture below is about halfway through to show you the process. Try to make sure when the margarine melts, all the cake mix powder will be touched.
If you’re using real butter sticks: Slice up the butter to about 1/4″ thick and place the squares all across the top of the cake mix. This should almost cover the entire top of the cake mix.
Step 4: Bake this at 350 for 45-55 minutes, and it will turn out looking like this! The edges of the apple dump cake will get a pretty golden brown, but the middle of the cake will still be soft and gooey.
Let your apple dump cake cool for 10 minutes, and serve hot with whipped cream or ice cream – or eat it plain! It’s rich and delicious and you will want to make this perfect fall dessert again and again!
Cover your apple pie filling dump cake with plastic wrap or tin foil and keep in a dry cool place for up to a week.
Apple Dump Cake Variations
- Cake Mix. Try different flavors of cake mix to give your apple dump cake a different flavor! Spice Mix is next on my list to try!
- Ice Cream. Make your own no-churn ice cream to top this off!
- Whipped Cream. Making your own whipped cream only takes a few minutes and a couple of ingredients and will take this up a notch!
- Caramel. Mix in some soft caramels before baking, or drizzle with caramel after coming out of the oven for a caramel apple cake!
- Apple Pie Filling, 21 oz
- Yellow Box Cake Mix
- 1 Cup Margarine or 2 Sticks Butter
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In an ungreased 9x13 baking pan, evenly spread the apple pie filling over the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the cake mix over the top of the apple pie filling evenly. Use a form to spread lightly if needed. DO NOT MIX.
- Dollop the margarine over the top of the powder, covering most of the cake mix powder. If using butter sticks, slice them into 1/4" thick pats and place them over the top of the powder.
- Bake at 350F for 45-55 minutes. Edges will be golden brown when done, and the middle of the cake will still be slightly gooey.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 960Total Fat: 64gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 7gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 925mgCarbohydrates: 96gFiber: 2gSugar: 58gProtein: 4g