We love to use Ranch seasoning in recipes around our house! Most of the time we grab the Kroger brand or Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning packets, but whenever I can, I love to strive to use more “clean” homemade ingredients in our recipes.
If you think it’s too difficult, or you’re not “domestic” enough to whip up a batch of homemade ranch seasoning, think again! This recipe is so easy, and the ingredients are affordable and easy to find.
Reasons to make homemade Ranch seasoning from scratch
There are several reasons that you might decide to make Ranch seasoning from scratch instead of using the store bought packets.
Here are a few of our favorite reasons to use homemade seasonings:
- More control over what your family eats
- When you cook your food from scratch, you know exactly what’s going in your recipes, giving you control over what your family eats.
- Healthier Recipes
- Not only do you know exactly what’s going in to your recipes, but this usually means that your seasoning (and recipe) are healthier.
- It’s frugal (more affordable)
- When you buy pre-packaged goods from the store, you are often paying for the convenience of having your seasonings “ready made”. Although Ranch seasoning is not terribly expensive to begin with, when you use this homemade recipe you can make a large batch without needing to return to the store for several trips!
Whip up a batch of this deliciously simple Ranch seasoning, and use it to make this 20 minute Ranch chicken tonight!
Ingredients to make Easy Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 cup powdered buttermilk
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 2 tsp dill weed
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp minced onion
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp chives
How to make Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
Store in an air-tight container and use in place of store-bought ranch seasoning mix in recipes to make dressings, dips, and more.
How long can you store Dry Ranch Seasoning?
You can store your ranch seasoning mix in an airtight container in the fridge or pantry for several months, and even longer in the freezer.
If the mix loses flavor or begins to develop an odd smell, discoloration, or mold, make sure to throw it out immediately!
How to Use Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix to make Recipes, Dips, and Dressings
You can use ranch seasoning mix to spice up almost any recipe! One of our favorite quick and easy weeknight meals to make is Ranch Chicken. You can also throw ranch seasoning into many crockpot recipes to add extra flavor.
To make Ranch Dip:
Add 2-3 tablespoons of homemade ranch seasoning mix to 1 cup of Greek yogurt or sour cream (or dairy free sour cream…I love the Simple Truth Organics brand at Kroger!)
To make Ranch Dressing:
Add 2-3 tablespoons of the homemade ranch seasoning mix to approximately 1 cup of mayo mixed with 1 cup of milk, you can also add sour cream. Whisk together ingredients and adjust to your level of taste and desired consistency. Store homemade ranch dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
This homemade ranch salad dressing recipe from Barefeet in the Kitchen looks amazing!
Leave a Reply